2.06.2010

football cake pops


Let me introduce you to... cake pops. Adorable bite-sized portions of cake
on a stick. They can be shaped and decorated like just about anything. But since
it's SuperBowl weekend and I have a party to host tomorrow, we are
making footballs. The original cake pop recipe comes from one of my favorite
baking sites, Bakerella. Check out all of her awesome cake pop designs,
and other adorable baked goods.


Here's what you'll need to make about 50 football pops:
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix
- other ingredients needed to bake the cake (usually eggs and oil)
- 1 can of chocolate frosting
- 1 bag of chocolate candy melts 
-microwave-safe container for melting chocolate
- shortening/ Crisco
- 4" paper lollipop sticks
- a big styrofoam block
-candy writer decorating pens 

Bake the cake in a 9 x 13" pan according to the directions on the box.
Let the cake cool completely.

Now the fun starts... Crumble the cake into a large bowl.
The smaller the crumbles the better.

Mix in about half the jar of room temp frosting. It really depends on how moist
your cake already is. Add more if you need it. Use the back of a wooden spoon
to combine, NOT a hand mixer. You want the mixture to be about the same
consistency as cookie dough, moldable but not mushy,
able to hold its own shape but not too dry.

Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Scoop some "dough" and roll it into a ball
about 1" in diameter. Squash and mold your ball into a football shape.
Fill up the sheet and chill in the fridge.

While the footballs chill, heat up half a bag of the chocolate candy melts. 
Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between.

Be careful not to over-microwave it because it will get dried out.
DON'T add water if this happens. Use the shortening.
 It will thin the candy out and also help when you start dipping.

Pull your footballs out of the fridge.  Dip the end of a lollipop stick about a 1/2"
into the candy. Then stick it into the football. There should be a little puddle of candy
around the base. Wait until it hardens. This will help keep the football "glued"
to the stick while you dip the whole thing.

Dip the footballs in the candy to coat them, tap the stick on the edge of your
container gently to remove the excess coating. Then poke the stick into the styrofoam
block, making sure the pops don't touch each other while they dry.
Aren't they cute already?

In the meantime, you can heat up your candy pens.
Follow the instructions specific to your pens...
usually you set them in some very hot but not boiling water.

Draw on the laces with the white pen.
Use slow movements and even pressure. 
Lay the pops down on a wax-covered baking sheet
to make decorating easier.

Let the laces dry, and that's it!
Football cake pops, perfect for the big game or any tailgate.

But this isn't just any football weekend.... it's the SUPER BOWL!
So I decided to make some extra pops
for people to cheer on their favorite team. Or to eat up the competition...

( I'm cheering for the football. )

44 comments:

  1. OMG Jamie I am I love with you and your pitures. These are so AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! I saw your comment on Bakerella's post and found your blog that way! I made the little football truffles too - and they turned out OK for a beginner like me, but not as good as hers, and definitely not as good as yours! You can see here:

    http://stacysaysblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/superbowl-baking-etc.html

    Love your pop idea though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was so hard ):

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to know what settings you use in your photos. They are great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seem to be getting a few of these questions lately... for a while after I first got my camera I shot in "no flash" mode which is pretty much auto. Then I experimented with Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority. I prefer Aperture Priority because I love lots of light and shallow depth of field. If something isn't working or I want to try something different I will go full manual and play around, but usually AP works for me :)

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's the crisco for?

      Delete
    2. How long do you let the cake pops sit in the fridge

      Delete
  6. well you give me the perfect idea for the next SuperBowl, in the middle time, this will be the candy to resurrect everybody jajajaja, and of course before the BBQ jajajaja.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Football cake pops are so fun! :) I'd love to have you come link them up at the Saturday Tailgate party! :)
    http://www.momendeavors.com/2011/09/college-football-saturday-tailgate-week-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made these for my son's football celebration today. I am so not crafty and a horrible baker and could still make them presentable. Oh Great - now they are going to be requested for the other 2 boys' teams! Great post! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just made these...very cute! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome idea and thanks for sharing the "how to". I featured it on my blog http://lifeinthethriftylane.blogspot.com/2012/01/friday-night-finds-super-bowl-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I made these, I used wooden craft sticks (like popsicle sticks) and stuck them in at the bottom of the football instead of on the end. It looks like lollipop sticks would be better. Might still turned out cute and yummy though! The most difficult thing for me is getting the football completely covered in the melted chocolate and making it smooth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try little mini crock pots..you can get them where they sell cake pop makers..keeps melted chocolate at the right consistancy. And works for many other things too! Helps with cake pops, pretzels, cookies, strawberries...

      Delete
    2. I also add a little bit of shortening to my candy melts if they need help getting smooth, then gently tap the stick on the edge of the bowl after dipping to get the extra off.

      Delete
  12. I know this post is a few years old but I'd love to see you link it up to my new weekly meme called Thematic Thursday. This week's theme is Super Bowl - Football. I especially love how you put the team icons on the bottom photo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG Looks super delicious. Great idea

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can these be made early and frozen? Suggestions on wrapping to freeze?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never frozen cake pops before, but let me know if it worked! I was always worried the candy coating would crack.

      Delete
    2. I made the cake and icing shapes and froze them. It'll save some time.

      Delete
  15. these are awesome! Can't wait to try them....really LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where do you buy the candy writer pens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's where mine came from, but you can get them at other craft or baking supply stores, or online through Wilton's website.

      Delete
  17. OMG. THAT IS SO CUH-YOOT!

    xoxo,

    The Glitter Queen

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm making these for superbowl...can't wait

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome! I'm going to make them for our annual Super Bowl party. Thanks for the detailed instructions and pics!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Does it have to be chocolate cake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can use any flavors of cake and frosting you want :)

      Delete
  21. Love it! Just bought a cake pop maker..so wondering how I will shape the football? I guess I'll experiment...or try your version. Do you ever just melt the frosting to cover balls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always use the method above, crumbling the cake and mixing the frosting in.

      Delete
  22. Maybe I'm just not artsy, but shaping the footballs was HARD! We'll see how the rest goes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Making these right now!! I agree shaping was. Little hard. My footballs are shaped as well as yours... But they will be a hit tonight for our Super Bowl party!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I made these today for the Super Bowl and I found it helps to shape the footballs thinner than a real football would be, because the chocolate adds a lot of bulk. They turned out super cute!

    Question for Jamie - some of the chocolate cracked when it dried. Any idea why and how to avoid it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. VERY time consuming, but TOTALLY worth it! Thanks for the tutorial :)
    They were a HIT at the superbowl party last night!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Made these for Super Bowl party... very cute. I must admit I had a tough time coating the pops with chocolate. The chocolate seemed to glob onto the pop and it took forever to 'run-off' the excess. I thinned it a bit with veg oil, but it didn't help much. Anyone have this trouble?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I found your post and made these for a Super Bowl party. They tasted amazing but they looked not so great. Part of my problem was the chocolate did not dip/mold smoothly. I would have liked to see in the instructions any trick for that. The chocolate also dripped down the stick when I tried to dry them upright so I laid them on parchment. The end result was a flat back-side to the footballs but not a big deal. Anyway. It was fun, but a lot of work, and mine weren't nearly as pretty as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderfu post. Wow! Delicious. Mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  29. When I make cake pops I use melted chocolate chips to coat the cake pops in, I was just wondering why you use candy melts... To be honest I've never even heard of candy melts so I'm not even sure what they are. I would just like to know how they work in comparison to just melted chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow! looks very yummy and super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am making these for super bowl 2014...I am thinking I will try molding them in a plastic easter egg that seems to be football shape like since I read the reviews and some people have trouble getting the shape right.

    ReplyDelete