3.16.2011

minty shamrock cookies


I'm not sure why St. Patrick's Day reads "green and minty baked goods" to me.
Maybe because mint is the only naturally green flavor I think I'd want in a cookie?
[OK, limes... but March is too chilly out for limes just yet]



I used my handy dandy cookie press to make the shamrock shape, but this recipe 
will work for rolled cookies as well. Just chill the dough before rolling and cutting, 
and reduce baking time so they don't get too brown on the edges.

2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
1 cup granulated sugar
1 whole egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons peppermint extract
green food coloring
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

Cream butter and sugar, then add egg and extracts [and food coloring!]. 
Add flour and shape dough into shamrocks using cookie press or cutters.
Bake at 375 F until edges just turn golden, about 10 minutes.


Let cool completely, then decorate with a touch of cookie icing [easy button].


 Having a few extra decorative shamrocks on hand never hurts either.


I used both green and white icings for a little variety. I love how they turned out!
The leaves look like tiny little hearts...


And the small bit of vanilla icing helps balance the mint flavor...
so it's more like eating a cookie, not a breath mint!


And if mint just isn't your thing, I understand.
Check out the Irish Car Bomb Brownie Bites I made last year.
[Chocolate + Guinness with a Baileys + Jameson glaze is pretty much everyone's thing.]

4 comments:

  1. Do you have any idea how many rolled cookies this will make? I usually make a regular batch and a batch of sugar free. So I was just curious if I should make half batches. I can always give them away though! I'm sure I wouldnt get any complaints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made Sugar free mint chocolate chip cookies with your recipe. They turned out pretty good! Thanks for the recipe.
    http://sugarlesssweets.blogspot.com/2011/03/mint-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got about 30 cookies out of the press... I would think about the same for rolled cookies depending on the size of your cutter :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is perfect because minty shamrock cookies is other way to eating cookies, I'd like to taste them and make them too at home to improvise something different.

    ReplyDelete